NOW IS THE TIME TO ADD MORE RAW FOODS
No, raw food does not mean eating sushi. Raw food is plant or animal food that has not been heated above 115 degrees fahrenheit. Raw foodists believe that when heated above this temperature, the enzymes in the food are destroyed or denatured, and cannot provide the same nutritive value. So, eating food in its natural state allows the body to derive more nutritional benefit from it. Live enzymes and vitamins offer the best nutrition. Adding more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet is one way to eat more raw food. Now that summer is around the corner it is the best time of year to eat more local fresh fruits and vegetables.
Here are a few tips on how to add more raw food to your diet:
- When you are hungry, snack on raw, unsalted almonds. They will provide protein, healthy fats and fiber and help balance blood sugar levels.
- Don't be afraid to eat healthy fats such as those found in avocados or nuts and seeds. These fats leave you feeling nourished and can actually help you lose weight when consumed in moderation.
- When craving sweets, try eating a few dates. This may curb your craving and set you on your way to eating less processed sugars.
- Snack on fresh fruit throughout the day to keep blood sugar levels balanced.
- Freeze organic berries in season so you can quickly and easily make a smoothie.
- As you get more comfortable with making fruit smoothies start adding green vegetables to increase the nutritional value.